The very first way you prepare for a hysterectomy is making the decision to move forward. You have completed your research and understand why it will be beneficial. You will get relief from heavy bleeding, pain, or some other medical condition, and you believe your life will change for the better. From the time you set the date for surgery, let’s look at how to prepare for a hysterectomy both mentally and physically.
One Month Prior To Surgery
Continue your due diligence and educate yourself about what to expect. Knowing what will happen helps to reduce anxiety and keep you calm and resolute.
Make Fitness A Priority
- If you are overweight, lose a few pounds before your surgery.
- Being overweight can increase the risks for any complication from the surgery or anesthesia.
- Learn kegel exercises to strengthen your pelvic muscles.
- Stop smoking or cut down to aid in recovery.
Communicate With Dr. Albert Odom
Be sure your physician knows all the over-the-counter and prescription medications you take on a daily basis including any supplements. Take precautions to ensure any medical conditions are under control, like diabetes, high blood pressure, or sleep apnea.
Plan Ahead For Your Recovery
Schedule time off from work, and enlist any help you may need at home. Your recovery can take anywhere from 2 to 6 weeks depending on the type of surgery. You won’t be able to drive or do any heavy work like vacuuming or lifting anything heavy.
Don’t Forget Your Partner
You won’t be able to have sexual intercourse for at least 6 weeks, and it’s possible you may not be ready emotionally beyond that. If you haven’t already talked with your partner about this, now is the time. You want to be in this together.
One Week Prior To Surgery
- Read and follow all pre-operative instructions.
- Drink plenty of liquids to prevent constipation.
- Get all your prescriptions filled.
- Shop for any necessary food for your home. Prepare meals ahead if possible.
- Plan for a bed or area you can rest on the main level if your bedroom is on the second floor.
Day Prior To Surgery
Only have light meals. Try to relax, and double check you are following all pre-operative physician instructions.
Schedule a Hysterectomy Consultation in Columbia, SC
Dr. Albert Odom is an expert gynecologic surgeon. During your consultation, he will take the time to fully explain the procedure and answer any questions you may have. Dr. Odom and his highly-trained gynecologic team are here to make this as stress free as possible. Contact Dr. Albert Odom at (803) 907-7300 if you have any questions or concerns about how to prepare for a hysterectomy.